5 Ways to Avoid Costly Water Damage
According to the American Insurance Association, about 20 percent of all home insurance claims are rooted in water damage. Billions of dollars in property losses are reported every year thanks to costly water damage and repair. From hurricanes to small hidden leaks, water can find its way into every crack and crevice of a structure resulting in rotting material, dangerous mold growth.
The water damage experts at Reliance Plumbers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help isolate and fix the problem. In the meantime, follow these helpful tips to prevent water damage in your home:
- Keep outdoor and indoor storm drains clear. Regularly clean leaves and other buildup from gutters and downspouts. Ensure all downspouts extend three to six feet away from your homes’ foundation.
- Consider having a sump pump and/or French drain installed in your home. Reliance Plumbers have the expertise to repair, replace or install a sump pump system to keep rising water from damaging your property.
- Replace old or slightly worn items like the shower arm and head, toilet wax o-rings and sink p-traps. One small crack or leak from these areas could send water trickling into your walls or floors leading to extensive damage.
- Install shelving in the basement to keep items off floor in case of any flooding. Keep valuables upstairs and away from floors.
- Perform regular maintenance on your home and yard. Sealing cracks around windows and bathroom/shower tiling can prevent water from entering the walls and floors of your home. Landscape around your home’s foundation with plants and vegetation that minimize soil erosion.
If you notice the beginnings of water damage or have experienced a serious leak or flood, call the water cleanup experts at Reliance Plumbers. Our technicians are IICRC certified and are available 24/7 with state-of-the art water extraction, drying and moisture testing equipment to handle water and sewer damage cleanup, cleaning and deodorizing, drying of contents and structure and water leak repair. Call or schedule service online.